NOTA Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Forums for the total annihilation based rts: NOTA (Nota Original Total Annihilation)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Totbuae

Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory Empty
PostSubject: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 2:55 am

Yes, yes, I know I must sound like a broken record with this topic but I haven't brought it up in a long while plus this is a new forum so I figured I deserve one more chance to express my opinion on this subject.

I agree that destroying targets by bombarding them with artillery should take longer than assaulting them with tanks but it currently takes way too long to do it with T1 veh arty. Therefore, I'm requesting if we can please, por favor, sil vous plait, onegai increase the accuracy of the Luger/Pillager on high trajectory a little bit (making them less spammable if necessary).
Back to top Go down
thor
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 1:22 pm

Fair enough. It's something to think about. Anybody else have any thoughts about this?
Back to top Go down
Totbuae

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 10:37 am

Hmm, no comments. Looks like it's going to be a judgment call on your part, thor.
Back to top Go down
Decimator

Decimator

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:05 pm

I rarely use them to actually attempt to deal damage on high trajectory. Plus there's the high risk of hitting your own units.
Back to top Go down
Totbuae

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Is there a way to prevent low gravity from making them even more inaccurate? On maps with ~120 gravity high trajectory fire is ok-ish, anything lower than that and it's spray and pray but worse.
Back to top Go down
Totbuae

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 8:46 am

I've suspected this for a while but I had never gotten around to testing it until now. Even if a map has absolutely no water, it's worthwhile building a hovercraft platform solely for the artillery hovers.

The Nixers/Samurais outperform Lugers/Pillagers for smashing defenses and providing fire support. The only edge the Lugers/Pillagers have is when attacking really high hills/plateaus because of their high trajectory option. I know veh arty outranges hover arty but the latter can fire on the move and is a LOT more accurate.

This is, in my humble opinion, another reason to increase the performance of veh arty.
Back to top Go down
thor
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 10:59 am

yeah, I think you're right
Back to top Go down
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:44 am

I can see the reasons for which it can be said that vehicle arty should be increased, but I can also assure you that low trajectory can flatten kbots. ATM the veh arty is a broken unit, partly because it does not close range for low trajectory. If it did you would find that it works quit well.
Hover arty is costly and dose poorly when elevation is a variable.

Vehicle arty is most effective in low trajectory, and that is why I had already said that low trajectory should be the default, allowing it to close to maximum low trajectory range, the most powerful asset of veh arty.

Personally, a unit should be most capable of performing it's primary or most powerful role: low trajectory.

Tot, arty will level targets quickly if it is on low trajectory. As we know low trajectory is not working at the moment.

A point:
units are designed for specific roles, but the attributes that make them good for their primary role can prove useful in other roles. They will often have draw backs in other roles. For example; a hover on land will not retreat well, has low hp for it's cost, and can not fight well in hilly areas.
Back to top Go down
Totbuae

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 8:35 pm

The way I see it is that the primary fire mode for T1 veh arty should be high trajectory while low trajectory is a special, situational "emergency" mode that should only be used in the specific event that some enemy units manage to get too close to your artillery battery.

T1 veh arty is slow, fragile and cannot fire on the move, these are characteristics of a unit that should stay at stand-off range, in my humble opinion. Having to get closer to the enemy to use low trajectory seems a little bit counter-intuitive to me.

Like I said before, this is gonna have to be a judgment call on thor's part since there appear to be equally valid reasons in favor and against improving the Luger/Pillager.
Back to top Go down
thor
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 3:02 pm

I have made a small (7%) increase in artillery accuracy for high trajectory. I've left cost and other stats alone. On a side note, I created a gadget that would automatically switch trajectories based on if it was in range to fire low trajectory. Unfortunately, after making it we realized that it would get stuck in low trajectory if an enemy unit was close, even if you had given it a faraway target that required high trajectory to shoot, and there is no way to fix that. So once again we have to wait until next spring version which will allow per weapon trajectory settings.
Back to top Go down
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:14 pm

I was using veh arty because the direct fire was extremely effective for halting kbot charges. The high trajectory was just a pirk for me. I like results. I would go for the most effective mode because it will leave you in conflict for the least period of time, reducing the danger to your troops.

I would bet on arty with low trajectory if they were to fight arty on high trajectory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory   Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lugers/Pillagers are a little bit too inaccurate in high trajectory
Page 1 of 1