The Official Forums for the total annihilation based rts: NOTA (Nota Original Total Annihilation)

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rewarding Players for not porcing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
thor
Admin

PostSubject: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:07 pm

I've been trying to make spacebugs a bit more interesting than simply massing walls of llt's. As of 1.09, the spawn timings of tankers and kamikaze bugs depends on how long specific burrows have stayed alive. I have been trying to think of other ways to encourage players to raid, attack, make airstrikes, or claim territory/outposts.

One good suggestion somebody had was to make the bugs actually build the tankers, so you could see them being constructed and perhaps launch an airstrike on one before it is completed. Anybody have any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Overkill
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm

I think if there was a structure that inproved bug production rate for a specific burrow was added, players would have initiative to make airstrikes and try to take it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nota.forumotion.net
123v

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:02 pm

that is a neat idea
Back to top Go down
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:36 am

I think I mentioned it on TS, but if the bugs were like an unstoppable infestation but were not as devastatingly destructive then players could afford to make out posts and not lose them.

The real reason you need to pork is because the bug "Hydralisk" equivalent.
only llts can take them out before they mass up and do a great amount of dmg.
I myself like using kbot armies but those need a lot of micro to keep them functional.
Because pork needs a lot more E than units pork is discouraged. Kudos
It is cheaper to build an MM econ in bugs than try to protect new mex - you would need double the pork.

I have used air cover on maps and it works very nicely, tho the Hydralisk bugs are not helpful. Air makes expansion possible. Fighters have a very hard time shooting down air bugs. In stead I simply to provide the cheapest target for the explosive air to kill. That means that I try to use scouts to take the hit and not my costly ground attack planes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Decimator

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:33 am

Burrows reappear instantly when you kill one. If you kill a lot of them you end up bombarding your base with unstoppable meteors. So why would we be offensive?

I think that burrows should just continually appear throughout the game, regardless of how many are already on the map. The current max burrows value should be changed to a burrow spawn interval instead. Set it to 30 seconds by default or something like that. That would get people out of their bases.

Preferably the meteors would avoid the commander build radius as well. It's just annoying to randomly lose things.

Bugs and bug buildings should show up on radar as well, so you can actually see when there's something out there to kill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:04 am

Two things deci

1. I guess you forgot or did not know that if a burrow is on the map for a longer period of time, bigger meaner and more units come from it. Thus raiding is truly a life saver. It you were a strong raider you would never see heavies or tankers :p

2. radar sees tankers but scouting is mandatory. I have often in the past used a flea spam. I have also often used an air scout spam. And of course arm has the very nice spy plane, which I use every change I get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Decimator

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:39 pm

I knew that, 123v, but it isn't nearly enough, especially since it can bring down meteors on your base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
123v

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:19 am

It is very uncommon for a metier to land in you base. It is consistently a safe bet that it would be healthier to go kill hives than to let them live.
Back to top Go down
Decimator

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 am

It's uncommon because we don't go kill them. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:14 pm

Who is "you." The general player or the players who are playing it "right." Players who work as a good team will contest the maps and gain land, isolating the bugs. DireStraits is one for my favorite maps to do this one with 3 and no more players.

Granted there are times when bugs does not support expansion and outposts, some thing that would be nice if we could improve it so expansion is a little more profitable and do able.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Decimator

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Direstraights is a line map, of course you can isolate the bugs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JoeZero

PostSubject: SB visible?   Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm

I have a fix for this all:
Add a mod option that allows the play to have the bugs radar visible or radar invisible.

Although im against having too many mod options like ca has, i think it'll be fine.

OR!

Add a seismic detector to the game again. You can make the burrows pulse if you want.

(note: this is the only topic i've been able to reply to because the forums hate me T.T)
Back to top Go down
1-23vtem

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 pm

I do wonder if the pulse would greatly increase lag
Back to top Go down
smokingwreckage

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:18 am

How long do burrows need to be "up" to spawn the nasties?

Knowing the timing would really add impetus to attempts to snipe individual burrows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Hmm
perhaps 10 spawns?

thor should know

He comes around on a 2 week or so basis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rewarding Players for not porcing