The Official Forums for the total annihilation based rts: NOTA (Nota Original Total Annihilation)

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sub hunter gunships

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scikar

PostSubject: Sub hunter gunships   Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:00 pm

I'd like to see better ASW air units. Currently you can combine sonar planes and torpedo bombers, but it's fairly unwieldy - it's hard to get the sonar planes to loiter, and patrols tend to end up with the sonar plane seeing a sub and moving on before a torp bomber gets near it. Torp bombers also don't seem to make attack runs on enemies they encounter while patrolling.

To fix this, I'd like to see a gunship with a short range sonar and a depth charge dropper. Without a torpedo it won't replace the torpedo bomber entirely, though it could feasibly obsolete the sonar planes. It could probably work as a fixed wing unit if necessary, I only suggest a gunship because IRL helicopters make effective ASW platforms.

With this done perhaps torpedo bombers could get a slight change? I'm thinking something along the lines of more powerful but unguided torpedoes - leave ASW to the new gunship but give torp bombers some real hitting power against ships. Currently they have a tendency to die in droves and yet not deliver all that much damage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
j5mello

PostSubject: Re: Sub hunter gunships   Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 am

Fang tried this in EE way back. The problem with using unguided weapons for ASW work is that Spring gunships have massive issues hitting the target.

Now the new weapon tags might have changed that but i really don't know the changes that well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scikar

PostSubject: Re: Sub hunter gunships   Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:50 am

Can you not still have a gunship which drops a real depth charge, i.e. something with a reasonable AoE which detonates at sub depth and is simply dropped somewhere in the vicinity of the target? I suppose that kind of model probably works better on a slow moving, agile bomber rather than a gunship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thor
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sub hunter gunships   Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:18 pm

I think we tried to do a depth charge weapon a long time ago for ships, and it wasn't possible. That was before all the new weapon stuff that was added a few spring versions ago, so maybe it could be done now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sub hunter gunships   

Back to top Go down

Sub hunter gunships
Page 1 of 1