NOTA Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Forums for the total annihilation based rts: NOTA (Nota Original Total Annihilation)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Improved Formations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Clownmite

Improved Formations Empty
PostSubject: Improved Formations   Improved Formations I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Since NOTA relies more on tactics and strategy than many other mods, I think adding better formation support would be excellent, if it's possible. I'd propose a couple things:

An option for the entire selected army to move at the speed of the slowest unit to keep the army from falling apart. Arty and other slow units always lag behind the main army and sometimes by the time they get to the battle, the main army is already defeated.

Some sort of option to choose how many ranks deep the army is. Having a long thin line isn't always the best solution since it's easy to break through. Furthermore, the option to have the army auto-form the ranks, so that shorter range units fill the front rank and longer ranged units fill up the back while AA units take the very back (let's face it, most of the time you don't want your AA just uselessly walking around the front lines getting shot at).

Right now, the best we can do is use the formation widget to kind of snake around to form ranks, but the units kind of arbitrarily fill the area. Sure, you can individually select each unit and draw its own line, but it's pretty inconvenient when in the heat of battle.

Like I said before, I have no idea is this is feasible or possible. Just throwing it out there.
Back to top Go down
Clownmite

PostSubject: Re: Improved Formations   Improved Formations I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Hmm, apparently you can force units to stay in formation and move at the speed of the slowest unit by holding down CTRL when issuing orders. I'm going to go try this ingame myself.

EDIT: It kind of works, but it's not ideal. It could be useful in some situations.
Back to top Go down
123vtemp

PostSubject: Re: Improved Formations   Improved Formations I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Yes there have been attempts but I for one find that if there is a battle you will want to be commanding it anyhow.

None the less these are valid desires. Also, aa at the back will not protect your troops. Aa should be near the very front when the scene is not hot.

Else - Napalm Party!

Last edited by 123vtemp on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Clownmite

PostSubject: Re: Improved Formations   Improved Formations I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah, that only adds to the confusion. If you have AA troops at the front while idle, if you suddenly get hit hard by ground troops there's not an easy way to quickly get your AA in the back since they'll run into your other troops etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Improved Formations   Improved Formations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Improved Formations
Page 1 of 1