NOTA Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Forums for the total annihilation based rts: NOTA (Nota Original Total Annihilation)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fighters/air game

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Clownmite

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm

OK, so I notice that fighters aren't used too often. I see them used as defense sometimes, but sometimes people just build ground based/mobile AA. I've never seen fighters actually attacking other fighters and having a huge dogfight, which I think would be awesome.

I feel that in most group battles, air superiority isn't much of a tactic. Both teams will use attack bombers or fighter/bombers to attack the opposing side, but fighters rarely accompany an army to battle.

I think it would be cool to let fighters have a high/normal attitude toggle, so they could bypass mobile AA defense. That way there could also be high altitude battles for air superiority that took place out of the range of mobile AA. That way, they could also swoop down on bombers, making them more deadly.

Another suggestion would be to lower their build time, so that it's viable to have a decent defense/offense force of them out throughout the game.

Another suggestion, and it might be too radical, would be to change the game so that all AA is basically anti-bomber. Make fighters much faster than bombers, so that normal AA is ineffective against the fighters at normal altitude, thereby giving fighters an ability to more or less bypass air defense. That way, fighters could swoop in at any time to attack your bombers, and the only defense would be fighters of your own. Also, this way, you also wouldn't have to worry about fighters being taken out by ground AA if you're having your fighters protect your ground troops from toads/vashps (I hate the "my-ground-troops-are-getting-pounded-by-aircraft-but-I'm-not-going-to-use-my-fighters-because-they'll-just-die-by-their-ground-AA-anyway" mentality that goes with the game.

Finally, the ability to set up "intercept zones" for fighters (like bombers have "attack area" commands) where the fighters will activate and attack opposing aircraft that enter the zone would be very useful.

Basically, my ideas are to try to change the air game so that most of it is using fighters to gain air superiority, and only then do the bombers move in. I'm not necessarily putting this in as a suggestion, just pretty much thinking out loud (because there's plenty wrong with these ideas).
Back to top Go down
momfreeek

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 4:52 am

Clownmite wrote:
Finally, the ability to set up "intercept zones" for fighters (like bombers have "attack area" commands) where the fighters will activate and attack opposing aircraft that enter the zone would be very useful.

As I read through your post I was thinking that the interface just doesn't support decent fighter control. Something like your suggestion here would be cool. Selecting fighters is not very viable without fiddling with custom key bindings. Setting patrrol routes is useful, but it would be much nicer if you could somehow designate airspace to control without having to screw around selecting fighters first.
Back to top Go down
123v

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm

atm I use key bindings I have a select all of the units of the type selected and I have a split que in half

After that is done, micro is all that is need.
I do not fight patrols effective though you do need some occupying fighters. Typically I will keep my main response force grounded and some patrols up to prevent enemy air units for going on a jaunt.
When the bomber force, SF or ground attack planes come along your response force is there and ready to respond in full force.
I find fighters too valuable to leave out where enemy aa might come in contact with them.
Back to top Go down
Scikar

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:50 pm

I like the intercept idea. Currently the best you can do without excessive micro is to just set up a patrol and build a ton of fighters, which causes a lot of lag late game. If you could have a preset interception area you would not only avoid the constant lag but that alone would protect your fighters from most ground AA. Give fighters enough speed to dodge AA as well and they'll be perfect.
Back to top Go down
Decimator

Decimator

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:19 am

If fighters slowed down to match the speed of their target, they could be made much faster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fighters/air game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighters/air game   Fighters/air game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fighters/air game
Page 1 of 1